CMB Status Update
Coffee Meets Bagel is back online and helping serious daters meet ☕️💜🥯
If you tried opening Coffee Meets Bagel during the week of August 27, you had the frustrating experience of not being able to sign in or use the app. We determined that the outage was the result of an outside actor who maliciously deleted company data and files. We quickly re-established a secure environment for our technology team to restore our production services and notified law enforcement about this incident.
We restored access to our site on Sunday, September 3, after our team spent days working around the clock to rebuild our system from offline backups so that daters could securely get back online.
We launched a thorough investigation to understand the full scope of the incident and are working to further enhance company cybersecurity. We do not take your trust in us lightly and we plan to do everything in our power to ensure this does not happen again.
We’re incredibly sorry for the disruption, and we hope to make it up to new and existing CMB Daters alike. In addition to restoring your experience, we’ve added 1,000 beans to any accounts that were active 14 days prior to the outage to make up for lost time.
Here are some answers to your most frequently asked questions:
1. What should I expect when I sign back in?
In addition to getting the app back up and running, we also put together a welcome-back package for our CMB Daters. Here's what you'll find when you sign back in —
- All of your active chats have been extended by 7 days.
- If you're a subscriber, your subscription has been extended by 14 days (totally free!)
- If you were active 14 days prior to the outage, you’ve received 1,000 free beans to help you get back to liking and matching.
- If you sent a Discover Like or flowers on August 27, the day the service got disrupted, we've added +1 of the item back to your wallet. Your potential match should have received your Discover Like or flowers — but there’s a small chance it didn’t go through. So, we decided to refund the item to everyone who used it that day just in case.
- If you boosted your profile between August 20-27, we’ll be adding +1 Boost to your wallet, even if your Boost was completed before the service outage. Unfortunately, Boost is undergoing some maintenance at the moment so you won’t see the Boost credit in your wallet just yet. We’ll let you know via push notification when the Boost feature becomes available again, so please make sure your push notifications from CMB are turned on.
2. I’m unable to sign in — or I’ve signed in but it seems like my account is missing?
As an extra security precaution, all users were signed out, so you’ll need to sign back in with your current account to start connecting. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Please note: To find your account, it's crucial you use the same method and credentials you initially signed up with. For example, if you registered using your phone number, make sure you use that same number. Or if you signed up using Facebook, continue with the same Facebook credentials. Switching methods will initiate a new account setup and you won't see any of your existing account details, including any existing subscriptions. If the app prompts you to create a new account, you've likely tried a different sign-in method. Please reconsider your login approach and try again.
For iOS users, if you mistakenly used a different login method and the app is taking you through a new sign-up flow, uninstall and reinstall the app. After that, you can try logging in again using your original method.
If you’re unsure of what method you used to first sign up for CMB, or if you’ve changed your phone number since you signed up, please contact our Customer Support team using this form so they can help.
3. I’m a subscriber – tell me more about the 14-day extension of my subscription.
All Premium and Mini subscribers who had an active paid subscription at the time of the outage have received a free 14-day extension to their plan benefits. For example, if your subscription renewal date was September 10, it now has been changed to September 24.
If your subscription expired at any time during the outage and you chose not to renew, we have still given you a free subscription that ends 14 days after your subscription expiration date. You have not been billed for this.
4. Are there any outstanding issues with the app?
Restoring the app was a major undertaking, so unfortunately there are a few lingering bugs. Our team is working diligently to identify and resolve them quickly. As of September 6, here are the issues we’re actively investigating and expect to be resolved in the next few days:
- Missing chats: Some active chats disappeared after the outage. Logging out and logging back is solves the issue in many cases, but not always. This should be fixed in the next few days.
- Fewer bagels in Suggested or Discover: Our match system is still warming up and you should see more potential matches in the next few days.
- Missing Boosts: Boost needed some maintenance, so we temporarily disabled it to ensure a seamless experience. Your Boosts will be back in your wallet once the feature is fully operational, and we’ll be sure to let you know when they’re ready.
We thank you in advance for your patience as our engineering team works to resolve these issues as soon as possible.
5. Did I miss out on any potential matches or likes?
No, we made sure you didn’t miss out on anything! During the outage, we stopped sending potential matches (also known as bagels) and likes. Now that we’re back online, you should be receiving bagels and likes as normal.
If you sent flowers or a Discover Like on August 27, there is a small chance they were not received. Whether or not they were received, we’ve refunded the item back to your wallet so you have the opportunity to like them again (or use it on anyone else)!
6. Will my matches think I ghosted them?
Nope! No CMB Daters were able to access the site during the outage, so everyone is on the same page.
7. What if my chats expired during the outage?
If any of your chats were set to expire during the outage, they were automatically extended by 7 days. If you think you may be missing a chat that you had prior to the disruption, please contact our Customer Support team using this form so we can get things sorted for you. Please note that if your match went on pause, deleted their account, or unmatched with you, your chats with them will not be extended.
8. I was boosting during the outage – did I lose it for good?
If you boosted your profile between Aug. 20-27, we’ll be adding +1 Boost to your wallet for future use. (Unfortunately, our Boost feature is still undergoing maintenance post-outage, so don’t panic if you don’t see any Boosts in your wallet just yet. You’ll be the first to know once it’s available again.)
9. Why can’t I boost right now?
Our Boost feature is undergoing maintenance. It may look like your Boost has gone missing, but it should return within a few days. We’ll be sure to let you know once it’s ready via push notification — so please make sure you've opted in to push notifications from Settings on the app.
10. What are you doing to prevent this from happening again?
The outage was the result of an outside actor who maliciously deleted company data and files. We quickly re-established a secure environment for our technology team to restore our production services and notified law enforcement about this incident. We launched a thorough investigation, which is still ongoing, to understand the full scope of the incident and are working to further enhance company cybersecurity.
11. Was my payment information, or images of my driver’s license or passport compromised?
CMB does not store any of this information as they are processed through third-party vendors.
12. I have a question that isn't covered here.
Sure thing — please reach out to us using this form so we can help.