We want you to have the best possible experience on Coffee Meets Bagel, so we thought we’d pop in with a few online dating safety tips.
While we do everything possible to keep people from making fraudulent accounts on the app, we know that, like with any system, ours isn’t perfect. Here’s how to stay safe while looking for someone special:
- Never send money, gift cards, invest money, or account info to matches — especially if you haven’t met them in person, yet.
- Never send money, trade, or invest per the advice of someone you have solely met online.
- Keep your exact workplace, social media, and address a secret until you’ve met in person and have built trust.
- Share when and where you’re meeting a match for the 1st time with friends and family.
- Provide your own transportation, and always meet in a safe, public place, such as a coffee shop.
- If you’re being harassed or believe your match is a scammer, report them on the app (and block them from other messaging services if applicable). If you’re on a date, leave immediately.
- Do not disclose your current financial status to unknown and untrusted individuals.
- Do not provide your banking information, Social Security Number, copies of your identification or passport, or any other sensitive information to anyone online or to a site you do not know is legitimate.